Saturday, July 16, 2011

Why seniors end up as security guards

ST Forum of the Straits Times dated 16 July 2011, Saturday

Home > ST Forum > Story

Why seniors end up as security guards

FOR the past three years, my 69-year-old mother has tried three times to secure a simple job, slicing fish, with NTUC FairPrice. Each time, the interviewer, upon finding out her age, turned her down.

During one interview, she was asked whether she was strong enough to carry goods, or quick enough at work. This puzzled her because strength and speed are not vital to a job like cutting or slicing fish.

After the third try, my mother gave up. She signed up for classes to be a security guard - she was the oldest in her class - and is currently working 12-hour shifts nightly.

I shop at FairPrice daily and have encountered cashiers and fish packers who are foreigners and cannot execute a simple exchange of goods or tell me where the shrimps are without help from their local colleagues.

So, I cannot help but wonder why applicants like my mother are turned down.

After my mother's experience, I am not surprised to see so many seniors working as security guards everywhere - in boutiques such as Zara in Liat Towers, VivoCity and Ngee Ann City.

These are citizens who built the nation but must now stay on their feet for 12 hours daily for pay that is less than $1,500 a month.

Don't they deserve less physically demanding work, especially when such jobs are available?

I hope the Ministry of Manpower will review the long hours in jobs held by people like security guards, especially if they are seniors. A more humane arrangement for them is an eight-hour shift.

Joanna Han (Mrs)

Info Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_691154.html

No comments: