Saturday, May 6, 2023

Reasons to use a multivitamin and Reasons that may not need a multivitamin


https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/multivitamin/

Reasons to use a multivitamin:

I am eating a limited diet or my appetite is poor so that I am eating less than usual.
I am following a restricted diet for longer than one week. This could be prescribed such as a liquid diet after a surgical procedure, or a self-imposed diet such as on with the goal of weight loss.
I have a condition that reduces my body’s ability to absorb nutrients (celiac disease, ulcerative colitis) or have undergone surgery that interferes with the normal absorption of nutrients (gastric bypass surgery, Whipple procedure).
I temporarily have increased nutrient needs, such as being pregnant.
I’m very busy and just can’t eat a balanced diet every day.


Reasons that may not need a multivitamin:

I eat well but am feeling tired all the time (discuss first with your doctor so they can investigate other possible causes).
I eat a pretty good diet but want to improve my health as much as possible, so it couldn’t hurt to get some extra nutrition from a vitamin.
I have osteoporosis and need more calcium, or I have iron-deficiency anemia and need more iron (in both scenarios, you may only need to take those individual nutrients rather than a comprehensive multivitamin).

No comments: