Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Food for thought: Ramen

On 2013-08-06, Tuesday, I shared with TT a bowl ramen at a ramen restaurant in a shopping centre near my home. I paid S$14.90 for it. I estimated the cost of the main ingredients is S$0.60 (sliced pork S$0.15, half an egg S$0.10, noodle S$0.15, soup S$0.20)

The ingredients' cost was only 4% of the selling price.

The gross profit margin was 96%. 

The ramen was good  but nutrition was low and salty.

One can have a similar-flavour and equally-delicious  instant Korean made ramen cooked at home with 100 gram pork and an egg added for less than S$3.00. The quantity will be at least twice that I ate at the restaurant. 

To be fair, the price one pays at a restaurant include service, ambience, psychological satisfaction, bonding time with your loved one and friends, etc. and the profit for the restaurant owner! 

Every time I take less healthy and less nutritious outside-home food, I can't help but remind myself of my daily nutritious and healthy green smoothie and multi whole grain cereal,  and plain fish/lean pork taken every 2 or 3 days!

I believe in: "Healthy food = Healthy body"! 






No comments: