Saturday, August 28, 2010

Organic White radish and leaves for smoothie

White radish and leaves
Today I bought a packet of organic White radish and leaves (about 250 grams) produced by www.fireflies.sg from a stall in the wet market near my home at S$2.00 a packet. I will use the green leaves for my smoothie.

Info and Picture Source:
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2009/5/17/sundaymetro/3898244&sec=sundaymetro


Radish is usually sold without leaves, but at the organic shops, the whole plant is available.

This small white radish is popular in Japanese cuisine where it is usually eaten raw or pickled.

The raw radish has a pungent taste but once cooked, it has a sweet taste.

Low in calories, the radish is high in Vitamin C.

The leaves have large amounts of beta-carotene, calcium and vitamins A, B1, B2 and C; they contain three times more vitamin A compared to broccoli.

The leaves have a slightly bitter taste but are most flavourful.

No comments: