Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Dr Michael Greger typical daily menu (foods) --- From http://www.vegancoach.com/


The following is extracted from: http://www.vegancoach.com/michael-greger.html


SASSY: Well, we're sooooooo thankful for all the work you are doing to get the truth out.

I think everyone would probably love to know what a typical daily menu is for the Greger household.

MICHAEL: When I'm not traveling -- I promised myself and my family I wouldn't travel as much this year, but, as you can see, so much for that (sad face).


My breakfasts are typically green smoothies (parsley-mint-mango-strawberry-white tea-lemon-ginger-flax) during the warmer months, and an 8-or-so grain hot cereal with toasted walnuts, seeds, dried fruit (barberries my fave), and as much cinnamon as I can stand when it's cold. Basically anything quick and simple--I've got a website to run! :)

Lunch is leftovers from the day before, and supper is usually some intensively flavorful/colorful world cuisine type concoction with beans and greens (and lots of hot sauce). And a big salad of course! :)

My fave snacks at the moment are baked purple sweet potato fries encrusted with fresh rosemary/garlic/chickpea flour, "zombie corn" (air-popped popcorn sprinkled with Bragg's and nutritional yeast, and turned bright green with chlorella), steamed collard green leaves wrapped "cigarillo" style around canned refried beans and jarred salsa (with some adobe-sauce sautéed onions & mushrooms if I have the time), and during the Fall my "caramel apple" combo of local Honey Crisp apples with some crazy-wet date variety like black sphinx. OK, I'm getting hungry now…

SASSY: We are really enjoying this peek into your kitchen.    :) You sound like quite the gourmet chef over there! And I love the idea of those baked sweet potato fries. Since Jeff loves his sweet potatoes, I think I’ll make up a batch soon.

Regarding your breakfast of 8-grain hot cereal, that brings up a point I am curious about. It seems lots of people these days have trouble with wheat due to the gluten. And of course, kamut and spelt also contain gluten, but to a far lesser degree.

For those who opt to go with pseudo-cereals (such as quinoa, millet, and buckwheat) do you feel they are covered nutritionally in the same way as wheat, kamut and spelt? Do gluten-containing grains have any nutritional advantage?

MICHAEL: That's one of the 1,000+ topics I cover on NutritionFacts.org. The vast majority of people (more than 99%) don't have celiac disease, the condition in which one must avoid gluten. Though gluten may play a role in other conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome, there is no reason healthy people should avoid gluten, and in fact studies have found gluten-free diets tend to be nutritionally inferior (though don't necessarily need to be).
But I love quinoa and buckwheat! (Millet is a bit mushy for my taste.) So if you want to eat those instead there's nothing wrong with that, but why unnecessarily exclude healthy foods like seitan?


No comments: